Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Talk about sweet charity...

The Tony noms are out.

I haven't seen the majority of these, sadly. But I am very excited for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (I really want to see this), Spamalot (even though it was terribly obvious it would do well with the Tony nom committee - and I'm not a Monty Python fan), and of course, Glengarry, which got 3 acting nominations, Best Revival of A Play and Best Director noms. I'm seeing it tomorrow night. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

But let's talk about Sweet Charity, which opened on the very last day it could open before the Tony nomination deadline. It got nominations for Best Revival of A Musical, Best Choreography, and Best Actress.

Now, granted, I haven't seen it. But after reading the numerous reviews - all of them tepid - I can't imagine it is truly deserving of these nominations. Best Choreography, perhaps, because Wayne Cliento is a genius (I loved what he did with The Who's Tommy in 1993), but Best Revival? Despite who was in the leading role, Christina or Charlotte, nobody was really praising the production. I think La Cage will probably take that one.

And Christina. Poor Christina. Again, all reviews have said that yes, she tries real, real hard, but simply doesn't have the voice or the moves that the role requires. So I really think this is a "Best Attempt at a Leading Role In A Musical" nomination. She deserves something for her tireless dedication and love for the role, the production, her cast and crew, but a Tony isn't it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home