Thursday, September 29, 2005

Standing Taaaaaalllll On The Wings Of My Dreams....

After serenading each other with "That's All" yesterday morning, Mike and I met with Jen after work for a music rehearsal - and romantically capped off the evening with our usual duet of "Baby Come Back," followed by brief renditions of the themes from Growing Pains and Perfect Strangers. (Jen kicked ass on the Growing Pains theme, I might add.)

This morning, I came across an unbelievable geeky tribute to a man named Jesse Frederick. You've never heard of Jesse before, but you know his songs. You most likely heard them once a week, whether you wanted to or not, during ABC's "TGIF" years. He wrote "As Days Go By" (Family Matters), "Everywhere You Look" (Full House), "Second Time Around" (Step By Step), and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now" (Perfect Strangers), as well as numerous songs for other less popular sitcoms.

A band called The Pop Project decided to record an EP covering the above four songs, and drummer Adam Kempa did exhaustive, almost obsessive research tracking down Frederick. The resulting story is the kind of journey only a true music geek could love.

The Ballad Of Jesse Frederick


Kempa calls Frederick's solo works "uninspiring," but to be honest, although I'm extremely impressed with their ambition in not only recording the songs and doing all the research, I didn't find the mp3 sample of the songs that inspiring either. But it does inspire me to work some TV themes into any upcoming gigs. And it's a cool freakin' story.

1 Comments:

At 9/29/2005 4:15 PM, Blogger por favor no fubar said...

I loved those songs... they were half the reason I watched those shows. TV theme songs are the BEST.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home