Friday, June 16, 2006

Sweatin' To The Showtunes

So although you probably would never guess it by looking at me, I am, indeed, a regular visitor to the gym. I am the one with the bad hair (because I'm usually there at 6 AM), the sweaty t-shirt, and a lame-ass fanny pack that holds my ghetto old-school, 7 pound iPod. But I don't care because I'm working out and listening to my music.

Normally, I listen to Coverville, the best podcast in the world, but since Coverville's episode production has slowed down considerably over the past month, I needed something else to keep me goin'. So I downloaded Foxy's CardioShowtune mix.

Now, despite my theatre/musical theatre background and the fact that Mike would term me as "a little bit pretty gay," I am not a real showtune fan. I enjoy them when I hear them live, but in most instances, the joy doesn't carry back to my stereo. (Exceptions: The Who's Tommy (duh) and Avenue Q). So I was skeptical in downloading Foxy's mix, but also desperate for music to keep me going through my workout.

I listened to CardioShowtune last night and can tell you two things:

1) This mix is awesome.
2) This mix is the gayest thing I have ever listened to.

It started out rather innocently, with me groovin' to "Aquarius," "One Night in Bangkok" and even some rockin' Who songs (Foxy even used the original Who versions for two of 'em). Then, I was shocked and disturbed to find out that I knew most of the words to "Cool Rider" from Grease 2 (for which I blame Michele). I was tearing up during "Meadowlark," and by the time I got to "Don't Rain On My Parade" (which I know quite well from my work on Claymont), I was checking out other guys' asses. This mix is not for the weak.

Do yourself a favor and download CardioShowtune. And what the hell, grab CardioCowbell while you're at it. And get down with your bad, gay self. Give thanks to Foxy, who is one of the few music geeks I know who can put together a truly effective mix in this post-cassette era.

2 Comments:

At 6/21/2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Michael said...

If your iPod is ghetto and old school, what is mine?

 
At 6/21/2006 3:16 PM, Blogger SallyAnn said...

Did you just "come out" in your blog? How hip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home