Friday, April 08, 2005

Jowling Gusterrhoids

I somehow wound up on the Guster website for the first time in many months today, only to find that they've been recording a new album - and, as usual, Brian, their drummer/percussionist, is journaling throught the process.

Guster's Studio Journal

Brian has done many journals before, both in the studio and on the road, and I think they're fucking hysterical, regardless of whether you know the band or not. (Actually, now that I've actually met all four of them and had actual conversations, I'd argue that they're funnier in writing.)

Anyhow, there are a number of funny journal entries in here - too many to mention specifically - but I found myself laughing out loud at a number of them. Recommended reading for additional reasons:

- I think Joe, their newest member, is fascinating. His solo album is on my "gotta get" list. I like reading how much he's been integrated into the band, and how his musical sensibilities (as well as recording/cooking techniques) have influenced the other three, who have been buddies since forever.

- I appreciate Brian's honesty in how they craft tracks, and as you follow their progress from January onward, you really do feel like you're in the studio with them.

- Last, but not least, jowlers. JOWLERS! This is so disturbing. And yet I feel like I have to try it. Anybody familiar with my "sneeze photos" will know what I mean. (For those who haven't seen them, this is an irritating thing I do way too often - I turn the camera on myself and pretend like I'm about to sneeze, then snap the photo.)

I thought about posting the abovementioned pictures, then thought the better of it.

2 Comments:

At 4/08/2005 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading that reminded me how much I like Barrel of a Gun. Such a great hook laden chorus.

I'm sad that you've been exposed to this Jowling thing. I know you, you are *precisely* the sort of person who is going to take this waaaaay too far. Also, and more troubling, jowling pictures will only detract from you "metal face" pictures. I love your metal face pictures.

-M

 
At 4/11/2005 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

POST THE PICTURES!!!!! POST THEEEMMMM!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home