Thursday, September 29, 2005

You got to be on your balls working custard

What can I say, I'm prolific this week.

If you live in or around New York City and you haven't yet been to the beautiful thing that is Shake Shack, all I can say is: what the hell is wrong with you? Seriously. Go. Go tonight. It's raining out, you won't have to deal with any lines. Go. Go. Go.

Shake Shack makes one of the best burgers I've ever had. I can't even compare it to other burgers because the taste is different than any other burger place in the city. Get a Shack Burger, with its unbelievable Shack Sauce. The fries are okay (I'm not a big fan of the ridged kind) and the custard didn't seem unbelievably impressive to me (admittedly, I only got vanilla) - but the lemonade was fantastic and the milkshakes (I tried caramel) was delish.

But yes, there are the lines to contend with. I've been there three times so far. On two visits, luckily there was barely any line to order, but you still have a 20+ minute wait for your food. On the other visit, I waited in line for 15 minutes before the 20 minute wait for the food. New York Mag accurately puts the wait at 37 minutes, 8 seconds.

And yet, I keep going. We all keep going. The New York Observer examines the Shake Shack phenomenon. I love how the Shake Shack, while being a relatively basic hamburger stand, attracts food connoisseurs and foodies alike, mainly (I imagine) because of Danny Meyer's reputation. I mean, a French Culinary Institute graduate was working custard. I know it's not easy - see this entry's title - but I find it surprising nonetheless.

I'm going to go back soon. I keep saying I'm going to try a hot dog but it'd be like going to Duffs in Buffalo and not getting wings.

One final word of advice if when you go to Shake Shack: hang on to your receipt until you get your food, and make sure that what you got is what you ordered. I've never had a problem, but Krischelle got burned.

2 Comments:

At 9/29/2005 4:19 PM, Blogger por favor no fubar said...

How generous of you to leave out the fact that I didn't even notice until I found myself hungry while just about finishing what I presumed to be a double shack burger.

 
At 10/04/2005 3:36 PM, Blogger lah said...

"I'm going to go back soon. I keep saying I'm going to try a hot dog but it'd be like going to Duffs in Buffalo and not getting wings."

I don't get it. So get a burger and a hot dog. And a concreation. That's what I did last time (i work on the north end of the park) and I wasn't entirely comatose for the rest of the afternoon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home