Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Muppets: Imitating Avenue Q?

News from Muppet Central reports (I love saying that phrase) that the Jim Henson Company is currently developing a new adult comedy, late-night talk show entitled "Late Night Buffet." According to the site, the show will "star puppets and celebrity guests and will be recorded in front of a live studio audience at Henson Studios."

I may be misinterpreting the use of the word "adult" here. They may just mean "not for kids." But y'know, I have a dirty mind. I immediately think of puppet sex.

The Muppets are, of course, no stranger to more adult humor. Despite me loving it as a kid, I don't necessarily think The Muppet Show was meant for my age range. The pilot (which can be found on the Season 1 box set*) was entitled Sex and Violence. Unfortunately, I didn't find it to be very funny at all. Add to that the fact that just about all Muppet product since 1990 has been pretty sub-par...well, I'm not getting any hopes up.

If you're in California, you can go see a live taping.

*Emily: I finally made it through the entire season, and I can see why Mummenschanz freaked you out. (shudder.)

2 Comments:

At 6/07/2006 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Jason! They are truly freaky and I was very scared as a kid, but now, I think that they are possibly the most creative and entertaining guests of season 1. I can't wait for the future seasons- the Lynda Carter one in particular with the "I was born to fly" backstage scene where all of the muppets put on superhero costumes and an instruction book on how to have super powers. Cracks me up to this day!

 
At 6/07/2006 10:04 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I don't recall that one, but it sounds great. I'm waiting for the Christopher Reeve one, where he's reading old comics of Superman and pointing out which scenes he did and didn't do, and the one with Mark Hamill where, for some reason, he sings a song while gargling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home