Wednesday, June 07, 2006

spoofed, random numbers e-mail?

The other day, Jessica, on her Gmail account, received a message purportedly from herself, and to herself. The subject line was "586876" and the content was "5556." There didn't seem to be any attachment or hidden text.

This morning, I got a similar message - to me, from me - but on my work e-mail account. The only difference was my subject line numbers of "455."

I've found a few blog posts from people getting the same thing, a thread on the Google Groups Gmail discussion board (although most of them seem to think it's solely a Gmail problem, which it clearly isn't), and a post from the Internet Storm Center. (The Internet has a Storm Center?)

Anyway, I'm putting this post out there in case more people start searching blogs, as I did, to see if it's a more widespread problem. If you get a message like this, or come up with any additional information, please post in the comments. Thanks!

3 Comments:

At 6/07/2006 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got two of 'em -- one at Gmail, one at my "home" account...

 
At 6/07/2006 12:20 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I've gotten two as well.

How nefarious.

 
At 6/07/2006 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got this one with other random numbers too & at my WORK email! I have no idea what it is about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home