Saturday, June 11, 2005

"I can't talk to you right now. I'm climbing."

Spidey strikes again... but since when does he go shirtless and wear red pants?
HONG KONG, China (AP) -- A French urban climber who calls himself "spiderman" has scaled a 62-story Hong Kong skyscraper barehanded.

Wearing only a pair of red pants, Alain Robert, 42, scrambled up the Cheung Kong Center on Saturday -- the flagship building of Hong Kong's richest man, Li Ka-shing -- in about an hour. He said the building was 283 meters (928 feet) tall.

During his climb, Robert rested several times and even answered a reporter's phone calls.

"I can't talk to you right now. I'm climbing," said Robert, renowned for scaling buildings without ropes or other equipment.

After reaching the top of the building, he waved to a small crowd of spectators on the ground below. He said he was greeted by police, firefighters and security guards at the top of the building.

Police officers checked his passport but did not arrest him, even though he had not sought permission to climb the building.

"Everyone was very nice," Robert said, adding that the climb was not too difficult.

"On a scale of one to 10 in terms of difficulty, this would be a five," he said.

This guy is absolutely nuts, but kudos to him for doing his thing. From his official website:
Climbing is my passion, my philosophy of life. Although I suffer from vertigo, although my accidents left me disabled up to 60%, I have become the best solo climber.
Now, as a solo climber and as a skilled speaker, here’s the message I wish to send to people. We set ourselves limits , but we are all strong enough to aim higher, to achieve our goals. All we have to do is find such strength within ourselves. Know how to develop it.

Even better:
Ask somebody : Are you mad ? Obviously the answer will be negative !
I don’t think I am this mad, but who am I to judge myself ? Actually it would be real madness not to make your dreams come true !

Who am I to judge myself indeed. But wait, there's more! Check out his two accidents graves - this guy has vertigo and he scales skyscrapers sans equipment.


(wait for it... wait for it...)



...but I always thought "urban climber" referred to somebody who was especially good at networking.

*sigh*

I'm spent. Plagiarizing is hard work.

1 Comments:

At 6/13/2005 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked at 90 Park Ave, he was climbing 101 Park Ave. He just climbed it on a whim because the girl he was with didn't think he could climb it.

Work totally stopped and we all watched him climb up the side of the building.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home