Thursday, June 09, 2005

WCBS-FM Goes Jack

Wow. I don't know how I missed this story.

On Friday, June 3 at 5 PM, WCBS-FM, long known as NY's longest-running (and, until Friday, only) oldies radio station played "Summer Wind," by Frank Sinatra, and then abruptly switched to the Jack Format.

First song played: "Fight For Your Right" by the Beastie Boys.

This is just unbelievable. I've posted my thoughts on Jack before, and Mike did the same here. While I'm interested in hearing the Jack format, and I don't think it's a horrible thing at all, the fact that they would replace WCBS-FM's treasured format is just un-fucking-believable.

Why would Infinity do this?

Even more despicable: the WCBS-FM staff found about the format change at 4 PM. Exactly one hour before the change happened.

Thoughts on Cousin Brucie's last day from the NY Times. Score another win for Sirius: they picked up Cousin Brucie almost immediately, and I'm sure they will woo over many longtime oldies fans. Once they put XM or Sirius in an iPod, that's the end of terrestrial radio for me.

So sad. I feel sick about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home