Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Supposed Elevator Hack

Saw this link on Kottke, where supposedly, if you press "Door Close" and your floor at the same time, it'll bypass all other floors.

I'm tempted to think this is bullshit. I gave it a few tries in my elevator. On two trips, there was a floor already pressed when I got on. So I pressed my floor and "Door Close," and after those previously pushed floors, I did get an express trip. But then, from the 8th floor, I pressed "L" and "Door Close," and the fucker stopped on 7.

Give it a try in your elevator and let me know if you have any luck.

2 Comments:

At 8/03/2005 4:49 PM, Blogger por favor no fubar said...

I guess it depends on what kind of elevators you are usually encountering. Campus elevators sure as hell can't be hacked because most of them are so damn old and slow... and the buildings with new elevators have smart systems where it will take you up one or two floors before going down if there aren't any other elevators on their way up.

I think your first express trip was maybe the elevator not being called anywhere else. By "hack," this fool must mean "quirk in some models that can hardly be relied upon."

 
At 8/03/2005 8:17 PM, Blogger ... said...

the hack is something I've toyed with for many years during my high rise living. 32 floors in Singapore... it was sometimes a local... and there were 4 cars too, and a freight one!

From what I know about this "hack" is that it was for firemen. It definitely works in that manner when it's in "fire mode" which means the guy with the key turned it on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home