Thursday, March 02, 2006

Keytars! Keytars, all!

Again and again and again, I just have to say...God Bless YouTube.

Herbie Hancock. Stevie Wonder. Howard Jones with big hair, and Thomas Dolby with even bigger hair (and white gloves!). "Synthesizer Medley," as performed at the 1985 Grammy Awards. I'm guessing 90% of this was pre-recorded, but still...awesome.



Bonus link #1: Stevie Wonder singing "Close To You" using one of those freaky synth vox thingies. I'm assuming this is somewhere in 1972 since he's promoting Music Of My Mind.

Bonus link #2 (for music geeks only): Stevie on the same talk show, demoing his synth.

4 Comments:

At 3/02/2006 11:28 AM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Great find, dude. That's seriously awesome...

I love the fact that Herbie and Stevie have no qualms sharing the stage with Dolby and Jones...I mean, seriously, that's like the Williams sisters playing doubles with the autistic kid who hit those three pointers and his mother.

 
At 3/02/2006 11:39 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I get my inspiration from your YouTube finds. :)

I wonder if, in 1985, Thomas Dolby and Howard Jones were seen as THE future of music, and therefore it only made sense to pair them up. This happens all the time in music - at award shows, at tribute shows. I heard "I Get Around" at the gym this morning and remembered Evan and Jaron performing it at the Brian Wilson Tribute Show in 2000. Seriously? Evan and Jaron? They had a hit single at the time (which I can't even remember), and therefore they were invited to collaborate with rock royalty in some manner. Maybe that's the way it was in 1985.

You can't blame Stevie; he couldn't actually SEE Dolby. It's Herbie that I'm worried about.

 
At 3/02/2006 1:15 PM, Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

Ha, I've never even heard of Evan and Jaron...time to Google. It's amazing how little they're actually playing on stage, and how nobody cared! Ashley Simpson got a bum deal.

Glad I can be of some inspiration, man.

 
At 3/19/2006 1:55 PM, Blogger bdure said...

I'm more impressed that Stephen Hawking joined in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home