Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Does anyone watch sitcoms anymore?

Well, I for one did like this episode. I don't think ever woke up with a pineapple that I couldn't figure out where it came from but there were some times when I did just wonder how I managed to make it home.

Does anyone watch sitcoms anymore?

Howimet

I'm good at inexplicably getting hooked on random TV shows. Sometimes I stick with it, sometimes I get bored quickly, but I happened to catch How I Met Your Mother a while back, and now watch it every week. The only real sitcom I can stand (aside from Arrested Development, but that hardly counts.) Everyone I know thinks I'm batshit insane for liking it as much as I do, but I honestly think it's great. I like the concept, the characters and the actors who play them (A collection of "that guys" from the last 20 years..."Doogie", "Band-Camp Girl" and "The Boyfriend from Freaks and Geeks" are three of the 5 main characters, Bob Saget does the voiceover and "Winnie Cooper" was in this weeks episode...not bad.)

Maybe I'm a sucker for New York stories...But this show just works. I swear. The last episode played out like a Pinter play. See, the whole series is based on this guy in the future telling his kids about his single life leading up to how he met their mother. This week, he was telling a story of how he blacked out one night, and woke up the next morning with a strange woman and a pineapple in his room. Pieces of the night all got filled in by various friends the next morning who cover different patches of the night. I thought it was actually brilliant. I mean, it's still a network sitcom, but it is so much better than everything else out there. Anyone else with me on this?

Link

2 Comments:

At 12/01/2005 10:45 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I watched the first episode of How I Met Your Mother and was really unimpressed. I thought the concept was interesting but the jokes were typical sitcom fare with a way overused laugh track. I have enough shows that I watch on a regular basis - I decided to give this one a try but didn't feel the need to watch it more than once.

I don't think I watch any sitcoms with a laugh track anymore. I really only watch The Office and My Name Is Earl - the rest are hour-long shows that don't fit the sitcom format. I gave up watching Joey this year and I don't miss it in the slightest.

 
At 12/01/2005 12:39 PM, Blogger ... said...

ooh, but have you met my friend ted????

I guess that's funny to me because when I first moved to NYC my friends would do that to get us all to meet girls.

But I do like looking at Allyson Hannigan and her character's extremely high libido.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home