Friday, May 12, 2006

I'll Miss You Mr. Hooper

From Michelle's You Can't Make It Up blog: Crystal Meth and Muppet Death


I was too young to remember Will Lee's (the actor who played Mr. Hooper) untimely death in 1983. The producers of the show, instead of skirting the issue of his passing, instead dealt with it head on in one of the show's most famous episodes.

"Unpaved" has a transcript of the scene. The first time I read it, I was hysterical. And because I am a sick maniac, I would read it to friends, and we would just cry and cry. At the Museum, I decided I had to see this tragic scene played out first hand. Part of me feels cruel for posting this video, because I'm convinced it's the muppet version of 9/11, but another part of me really thinks you all should see it. It was recorded soon after his passing, and the neighborhood gang is genuinely tearing up. Poignant and heartbreaking.





I'll Miss You Mr. Hooper (Classic Sesame Street)

You can read the transcript here. Needless to say, wearing eyemakeup today was a pretty bad idea.

damn. i don't recall him passing away. but damn, yeah well if i had makeup today it would have been a bad idea too.

pass the tissue.

Link

1 Comments:

At 5/13/2006 9:33 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I was an avid Sesame Street viewer. I remember Mr. Hooper, I remember watching this episode when it first aired, and I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach. if it's okay with you, I'm not going through it again. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home