Saturday, October 08, 2005

Meeting Rachel


I had the opportunity tonight to chat with Rachel Fuller a bit at an event at the Time Warner Center. Rachel is a classically-trained pianist who has recently released her debut album, entitled Cigarettes and Housework. It combines both her classical and pop sensibilities and is one of those records I listen to when I'm trying to get into a relaxed state. Her voice is smooth and gentle and the piano is (obviously) exquisite. If you like Vienna Teng (and you should, damn you) or some of Sarah McLachlan's more piano-based tunes, you'll really like Rachel.

Anyway, she was gracious and quite sweet to me, despite the flurry of activity around us. I missed her show at Joe's Pub earlier this year - I'm hoping she'll return soon to that venue or perhaps one like The Living Room. Something small and intimate would obviously suit her. Being a pianist myself, I wanted to ask all sorts of nerdy questions about song choices, but I was on my way to my play's dress rehearsal (which also caused me to miss Nickel Creek tonight, but I digress). I appreciated her honesty in person just as much as I do on her blog. It's that kind of honesty - where you know she's not faking any emotion for the sake of a camera or other publicity - that sets her apart as an artist. Most people (myself included) came to her music via Pete, but I'm hoping that most are staying around for her very individualistic ride. (And not for disengenuous reasons.)

Thanks for the blog shout-out, Rachel. I look forward to seeing you the next time you're in town - I hope it's at one of your gigs. Drop me a line if you feel like being bored with music questions.

2 Comments:

At 10/11/2005 10:07 AM, Blogger Tom Matchett said...

Yo Jason,

Christ!! You're the spitting image of my buddy Tommy Taylor from Romford in Essex, England. Crazy man! It's uncanny.

Anyway, I found your link on Rachel's blog, so thought that I'd drop in and say "hi". I'm busy at the moment with some paper work, but I'll drop back in later and take more of it in! Gonzo for President? Definitely!

Can we have Kermit for P.M?

Here's my blog, if you fancy a visit. There's an MP3 lurking in one of the posts, that I wrote and recorded last week. Its at http://www.tomofthechange.blogspot.com


Rock n Roll,

Tom.

 
At 10/12/2005 9:07 PM, Blogger glow NYC said...

Jason,

Realized you have a blog....I'm lame and new to this stuff.

Gigi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home