Wednesday, June 22, 2005

AFI's Top 100 Movie Quotes

The American Film Institute's Top 100 Movie Quotes special, hosted by Pierce Brosnan, showcased the most memorable quotes which had a cultural impact and ensured a film’s legacy, with “frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn” taking #1 and Titanic’s “I’m the King of the world!” (which they *actually* described as “a small goodybag the audience took home with them),” at #100. We were saddened that Dirty Dancing's “nobody puts baby in the corner” came in at a low #98 and somewhat surprised by the few one-word quotes: Citizen Kane's "rosebud" at #17 and The Graduate's "plastics" at #42. And was anyone else baffled by how Star Wars only had one quote, but both Jerry Maguire and James Bond had two? What about "my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father - prepare to die?"

Though last night's 3-hour special grew rather tiresome somewhere around Apollo 13, it did boast some interesting movie trivia, such as how “play it again, Sam” is etched into the American psyche even though the actual quote from Casablanca is “play it once, Sam. For old times' sake” and that Pres. Roosevelt found the last lines from Mrs. Miniver (a Gothamist favorite) so powerful, he had them printed on millions of leaflets and dropped over Nazi-occupied Europe. See below for the whole list:

#

Quote

Movie

Year

1

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

GONE WITH THE WIND

1939

2

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

THE GODFATHER

1972

3

You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.

ON THE WATERFRONT

1954

4

Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

THE WIZARD OF OZ

1939

5

Here's looking at you, kid.

CASABLANCA

1942

6

Go ahead, make my day.

SUDDEN IMPACT

1983

7

All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.

SUNSET BLVD.

1950

8

May the Force be with you.

STAR WARS

1977

9

Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.

ALL ABOUT EVE

1950

10

You talking to me?

TAXI DRIVER

1976



The rest of the list...

plagarized from the gothamist

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home